In this episode, Christina Martini and Amii Barnard-Bahn discuss:
- Managing vs mentoring vs leadership.
- What it means to be a true leader.
- When to consider working with a coach.
- Tips to consider approaching your manager for a promotion.
- “Before you’re a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others.” – Jack Welch
- If you are valued at your organization, go to HR or your boss and ask if they will sponsor you for executive coaching. Everyone can benefit from a coach.
- Have promotion and compensation discussions as two different discussions.
- Show your best self when you are interviewing, whether with your own leadership or with a new company.
“Don’t grade yourself on the feedback you get, grade yourself on your response.” — Amii Barnard-Bahn
About Amii Barnard-Bahn: Amii is an executive coach, strategic advisor and keynote speaker who specializes in accelerating the success of compliance and legal executives. A former Fortune Global 50 exec, her clients include Adobe, Gap, Chegg, Lyft, Bank of the West, Boehringer Ingelheim, and The Nature Conservancy.
Amii previously shaped company culture and strategic initiatives as an executive (CAO, Chief Compliance Officer, CHRO) at companies such as McKesson and Allianz.
She has been described by Forbes as “one of the top coaches for legal and compliance executives.”
Amii earned her law degree from Georgetown University Law Center and her BA in English from Tufts and is an active member of the California State Bar. A leadership columnist for Compliance Week and Fellow at the Harvard Institute of Coaching, she is a guest lecturer at UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business and the University of San Diego School of Business; has spoken to the alumni associations of Georgetown and Tufts University, and presents frequently to associations such as The Conference Board and SHRM affiliates. She has been quoted in publications such as The San Francisco Chronicle, NBC’s KCRA-TV, and various other regional and national business publications.
A lifelong diversity advocate, Amii testified in multiple legislative committees on the successful passage of California’s SB826, the first law in the U.S. requiring corporate boards to include women.
Connect with Amii Barnard-Bahn:
Get Amii’s Promotability Index now!
It’s an insightful leadership tool – a self-assessment to help leaders assess where they stack up against the 5 elements of promotability.
Text PROMOTEME to 44222 to get the Promotability Index
Or click on bit.ly/promotelegal
Connect with Christina Martini:
LinkedIn: Christina Martini
Show notes by Podcastologist: Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.