In this episode, Christina Martini and David Susler discuss:
- David’s professional journey and how long he has been practicing law.
- The value in observing legal issues and solving problems from different vantage points, whether as defense lawyer to plaintiff’s lawyer, or switching from private practice to in-house.
- Embracing new things and finding a comfort zone outside of your comfort zone.
- Challenges and rewards as an in-house attorney and general counsel.
- Your professional aspirations evolve over time, so keep the door open for new opportunities and leverage your relationships.
- Skills you learn as a practicing attorney are often practice-area agnostic.
- Find what you love so you can love what you do.
“My job is risk management. Ultimately, my job, as an in-house lawyer, is risk management. When I know I’ve given my business leaders the confidence to pursue their business plans, that’s extremely rewarding.” — David Susler
About David Susler: David is Associate General Counsel of National Material LP. An attorney with 30 years’ experience in both private practice and as in-house attorney, David provides an insightful and valuable perspective on what it means to be both an effective legal partner and trusted advisor.
Connect with David Susler:
LinkedIn: David Susler
Connect with Christina Martini:
LinkedIn: Christina Martini
Show notes by Podcastologist: Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.