In this episode, Christina Martini and Brian Cuban discuss:
- Brian’s personal and professional story and his journey to where he is now.
- How addiction and substance use has changed in the last 40 years.
- Defining moments in his life and how they affected his path.
- The love of brothers and the gift that brings.
- There is a different between causation and correlation.
- Substance use does affect your job performance, even if you argue to yourself it is not.
- The goal should always be to find recovery at the highest possible level, not the lowest possible level.
- Recovery has to withstand life, so do it for you.
“Do not mind your own business. Step outside your comfort zone.” — Brian Cuban
About Brian Cuban: Brian is a Dallas-based attorney, author and addiction recovery advocate. He is also the younger brother of Dallas Mavericks owner and entrepreneur Mark Cuban. Brian is a graduate of Penn State University and The University of Pittsburgh School of Law. He has been in long-term recovery from alcohol, cocaine and bulimia since April 2007.
His first book, Shattered Image: My Triumph Over Body Dysmorphic Disorder,” chronicles his first-hand experiences living with, and recovering from, twenty-seven years of eating disorders, and Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD).
Brian’s most recent, best-selling book, The Addicted Lawyer, Tales of The Bar, Booze, Blow, & Redemption is an un-flinching look back at how addiction and other mental health issues destroyed his career as a once successful lawyer and how he and others in the profession redefined their lives in recovery and found redemption.
Brian has spoken at colleges, universities, conferences, non-profit and legal events across the United States and in Canada. Brian has appeared on prestigious talks shows such as the Katie Couric Show as well as numerous media outlets around the country. He also writes extensively on these subjects. His columns have appeared and he has been quoted on these topics on CNN.com, Foxnews.com, The Huffington Post, Above The Law, The New York Times, and in online and print newspapers around the world.
Connect with Brian Cuban:
Facebook: Brian Cuban
LinkedIn: Brian Cuban
Connect with Christina Martini:
LinkedIn: Christina Martini
Show notes by Podcastologist: Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.