In this episode, Christina Martini and Joan Michelson discuss:
- Having a diversity of voices and innovators at the table when it comes to change.
- Taking risks and watching for opportunities.
- How hiring systems can harm your business.
- Diversity is a powerful tool for your company.
- Finding ways to shift the paradigm of how business has been to find what it can be.
- Do things differently – that is how you will achieve hockey stick growth.
- Find out what you know, then package it in a way that shows what you can do.
- Find ways to share your ideas and competency with confidence.
- Know when to open your mouth and when to keep it closed.
“Diversity needs a diversity of experience.” — Joan Michelson
About Joan Michelson: Joan is an award-winning business and communications leader, public speaker and host of the acclaimed podcast series, Green Connections Radio, which was chosen in 2015 as one of the top six podcasts by USA Today, especially for business travelers. On her podcast, she has engaging, insightful discussions with top innovators and leaders in the “green” and energy space, especially women.
Her blogs can be seen in Forbes, The Huffington Post and The Atlantic, among others. She has also been a featured guest on other podcasts and has blogs on Medium and LinkedIn as well, though most are on her website, greenconnectionsradio.com. Her specialties are: innovation, clean energy, sustainability, electric vehicles, corporate responsibility, leadership, STEM careers, business, communications, and women in business.
As specialist in the corporate responsibility, energy and sustainability space – and a lifelong advocate for women in leadership – Joan has worked with many different companies and organizations, both large and small.
Joan is also the author of an upcoming book due out this summer, “The Superwoman and Other Writings of Miriam Michelson,” about Joan’s great-great aunt, a prominent reporter who personally kept the suffrage movement in the headlines, interviewed Susan B. Anthony extensively and was a best-selling fiction writer about women’s empowerment.
As an interesting aside: Joan is a descendant of three prominent siblings: Albert A. Michelson was the first American scientist to win the Nobel Prize (physics, 1907), Charles Michelson was FDR’s White House Communications Director/Press Secretary; and Miriam Michelson literally kept the women’s suffrage movement in the headlines, as a reporter for the San Francisco Call and the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Connect with Joan Michelson:
Show: Green Connections Radio
LinkedIn: Joan Michelson
Connect with Christina Martini:
LinkedIn: Christina Martini
Show notes by Podcastologist: Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.