In this episode, Christina Martini and Jennifer Fondrevay discuss:
- The importance of human capital challenges and considerations in today’s business world.
- The characters you may see during a post-deal landscape.
- Talking about the people from the due diligence phase, not late in the deal.
- Seeing the opportunity in change.
- Be open minded, have contingency plans, and be nimble in your interactions during inflection points.
- M&A transactions are an emotional process for everyone.
- Bring on a human capital advisor – someone who can advise as to the people challenges you are going to face during an M&A transaction.
- Know what you’re good at, how it contributes to the new vision, and make sure people know that.
“When you are operating from a position of fear, people act differently.” — Jennifer Fondrevay
About Jennifer Fondrevay: Jennifer is the Founder of Day1 Ready™, an M&A deal consultancy that advises forward-thinking business leaders, owners and C-Suite executives on how to prepare for the human capital challenges of Mergers & Acquisitions.
The “survivor” of three multi-billion-dollar acquisitions, Jennifer saw countless growth strategies fail due to a workforce that couldn’t pivot and adapt because they were not able to adapt as quickly as leadership anticipated.
When her Harvard Business Review (HBR) article, After a Merger, Don’t Let “Us vs. Them” Thinking Ruin the Company went viral, Jennifer recognized the power and interest in a human-centric approach to business transformation, where employees are at the heart of the change, not on the sidelines.
She shares her expertise as a contributor to Forbes, Harvard Business Review, Medium, Middle Market Growth, American Marketing Association and Thrive, and as a keynote speaker, most recently for Express Scripts leadership, who were acquired by Cigna for $64 billion in 2018.
Her book, NOW WHAT? A survivor’s guide for navigating and thriving through acquisition, to be published in Oct. 2019, guides executives and middle managers through the transitions brought by M&A to find the opportunities in change and disruption.
Connect with Jennifer Fondrevay:
LinkedIn: Jennifer J. Fondrevay
Connect with Christina Martini:
LinkedIn: Christina Martini
Show notes by Podcastologist: Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it