In this episode, Christina Martini and David Susler discuss:
- Breaking down a decision for lawyers and business professionals
- How to move business forward and not be exposed to undue risk in decision making.
- DecisionMaking varies depending on the circumstances – each company and set of circumstances is different. Answers are correct based on a particular moment in time.
- The dichotomy between the right legal answer and the right business answer.
- A lot of decisions are a careful balance between fact gathering, research, sound business judgment, and your intuition, based on what you have seen and learned over the years.
- It’s important to be able to accurately assess the kinds of decisionmakers and people you are working with as your clients in order to help them reach the right decision.
- Know what is going on in the world, it may change what the decision will be.
- You can never make a perfect decision – to get the best decision, you must carefully balance fact gathering, research, sound business judgment, and your intuition, along with the timeline and the risk tolerance of the decision makers.
“For lawyers, don’t be afraid to ask your clients questions and don’t be afraid to push back on them if you don’t like the answer. For business people, don’t be afraid to talk to your lawyer, and don’t be afraid to push back. That enhances the collaboration and the ability of reaching the best possible business answer that is legally appropriate.” — David Susler
About David Susler: David is Associate General Counsel of National Material LP. An attorney with 30 years’ experience in both private practice and as in-house attorney, David provides an insightful and valuable perspective on what it means to be both an effective legal partner and trusted advisor.
Connect with David Susler
LinkedIn: David Susler
Connect with Christina Martini:
LinkedIn: Christina Martini
Show notes by Podcastologist: Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.